With only three ingredients, you can whip up this creamy Lemon Dip in minutes! Easy Lemon Dip Recipe This easy lemon dip is a simple and delicious dessert everyone will love! Who else is ready for summer? I don’t know about you, but I love making lemon dip and any kind of lemon desserts for summer parties. […]
Backyard chicken lovers will fly the coop over these cute chicken cupcakes! Celebrate a birthday party, Easter or baby shower with this mom and baby chick cake recipe.
Cute Chicken Cupcakes!
Do you have backyard chickens or just love chickens? Well, I sure love them! These cute chicken cupcakes are a perfect way to celebrate that love and the perfect birthday cake idea.
Mama chicken and cute baby chick cupcakes are an adorable party idea! These treats are such an easy homemade dessert for any chicken lover. Vanilla and coconut chicken cupcakes are perfect for so many occasions. Whether it’s to celebrate a birthday, serve at Easter, make for a baby shower or a “welcome to our new coop” housewarming party, these sweet cakes are an egg-cellent idea!
Originally published March 13, 2017
I Love Chickens
My love of chickens started when I got my first pet chickens around the age of four. Here I am with Chicken Little and Chicken Big! I was SO EXCITED! ha!
Forget the pet dog, I was all about the pet chickens. Somewhere, there are photos of me swinging and sliding down my 1970’s swing set slide holding Chicken Little. ha!
Since I can’t have chickens now, I get my chicken fix and fresh eggs by visiting my Aunt Tricia in Oklahoma and her pet chickens! We love chickens so much, we even started a new Facebook page, Chickens are Fun. If you are a chicken fan–> click here to join the fun!
Combine my love of cute party food and chickens, and you have these adorable mama chicken and baby chicken cupcakes.
I asked Pamela to create these cute treats for us and think they turned out so adorable! I love the mama chicken, but the baby chick cupcakes made from mini cupcakes are my favorite. I hope you enjoy these fun party treats!
How to Make Chicken Cupcakes and Baby Chick Cupcakes!
These cute chicken cupcakes were made for a friend who raises backyard chickens. Her chickens lay the most beautiful eggs in shades of blue, green and brown, so I asked if I could trade her some fresh eggs for cupcakes. There was of course no hesitation!
Here is what you need to get started:
- Vanilla cupcakes, regular and mini sized
- Buttercream frosting
- Yellow food coloring
- Toasted coconut
- Chocolate chips, regular and mini sized
- Fruit chew candies (Starbursts or something similar.)
Bake a batch of regular sized cupcakes and mini cupcakes. We used a vanilla cake mix to save time, but if you want to make a fluffy white cake from scratch, try this–> white cake recipe.
After the cupcakes cool, frost your cupcakes with buttercream icing. Either make a batch of your own or buy a few cans of frosting. We used natural (non colored) vanilla colored buttercream for the regular sized cupcakes and light yellow colored frosting for the chicks. You might like this lemon frosting (it’s amazing!).
How to Decorate Chicken Cupcakes
While the frosting is “wet”, dip the sides of your cupcake into toasted coconut making sure to get all around the edges. Here is a simple tutorial on how to toast coconut yourself.
Fruit chews are the perfect candy to cut or mold with your hands to create orange and yellow beaks and red combs. Use regular and mini semi sweet chocolate chips for the eyes.
After you have created your beaks and combs out of the candy, simply place the pieces onto your cupcakes to create adorable chicken faces.
Now place your chicken cupcakes on a fun tray with extra toasted coconut sprinkled around them. Serve and enjoy!
Aren’t these eggs beautiful? I just love them next to the cupcakes, so cute. Try making these chicken cupcakes the next time you have a celebration that calls for some major cuteness!
Watch the video below for step-by-step directions.
Backyard chicken lovers will fly the coop over these cute chicken cupcakes! Celebrate a birthday party, Easter or baby shower with this easy cake recipe.
- 12 vanilla cupcakes
- 12 mini vanilla cupcakes
White Butter Cream Frosting
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- yellow food coloring
- 3 cups coconut (shredded)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup mini sized chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup Fruit chew candies (Starbursts or something similar.)
- 3 tablespoons milk
- With one cake mix, split the batter between a regular sized cupcake pan and a mini cupcake pan. Let completely cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spread shredded coconut in an even thin layer. Bake for 3-8 minutes until you achieve the desired look, remove from oven and let cool.
- In a mixer, cream the butter until it is smooth for about 3 minutes.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar 1/2 a cup at a time then mix another minute.
- Add vanilla, a pinch of saltAdd milk and milk until frosting has reached the preferred consistency.
- Separate the frosting into two bowls and add a few drops of yellow food coloring at a time until you get the desired color for the baby chicks.
- Add to piping bags.
Decorating Chicken Cupcakes
- Frost the regular sized cupcakes white and the mini cupcakes yellow.
- While the frosting is “wet”, dip the sides of your cupcakes into a plate of toasted coconut making sure to get all around the edges.
- Add the regular chocolate chips for the chicken’s eyes and the mini chips for the baby chick’s eyes.
- Cut fruit chew candy or mold with your hands to create orange and yellow beaks and red combs.
- After you have created your beaks and combs out of the candy, simply place the pieces onto your cupcakes to create adorable chicken faces.
- Now place your chicken cupcakes on a fun tray with extra toasted coconut sprinkled around them. Serve and enjoy!
Do these pretty fresh eggs have you craving eggs? Learn how to cook the perfect hard boiled egg.
Enjoy more fun spring cake ideas!
Cadbury Mini Eggs have hit store shelves! THIS IS NOT A DRILL. It’s time to make the most of those chocolatey jewels and whip up Cadbury Mini Egg Chocolate Cookies.
We were first inspired to create a blonde and buttery version of this cookie with regular milk chocolate Cadbury Mini Eggs which you can find here, but never one to be creatively limited in the kitchen, I saw fit to toss a few bags of the WHITE chocolate Cadbury Mini Eggs into my basket to see if my suspicions were true…that a chocolate cake mix cookie and a white chocolate egg could come together for sweet Easter bliss.
I WAS RIGHT!
Cadbury Mini Egg Chocolate Cookies have made all of my dreams come true.
I was so skeptical about the white chocolate ones, but they are SO good with the chocolate cake mix. The chocolate is like a cross between a brownie and a cookie-a huge hit with everyone that’s tried one!
The best part is that these are the EASIEST cookies that you’ll ever make. The most laborious part of the whole process is copping up the chocolate eggs!
Cadbury Mini Egg Chocolate Cookies (A Cake Mix Cookie!)
1 box chocolate cake mix
5 Tbsp butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 Cups white Cadbury White Chocolate Mini Eggs, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together all ingredients. Batter will be super sticky, I find it’s easiest to spread it by greasing your hand and spreading it in a 9×13 pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
I took them to a party and they were gone fast! We went with squares, but you could totally use a cute egg shaped cookie cutter to cut these into festive shapes for your Easter activities. The bonus of that scenario is that you’ll have extra bits and pieces from the cut-outs that you can snack on…or eat with ice cream.
Let me know what you think!
See more at TodaysMama.com!
I don’t know about you, but I’m on Pinterest WAY too much! So much so, that I became an official Pinterest Ambassador last year. Crazy right? I always like to pin the latest trends and thought it would be fun to start a new series here called Trending Tuesday where I share fun DIY ideas that I find on Pinterest.
With Easter coming up soon, now is the time to find all kinds of creative holiday ideas on Pinterest. Jello Easter Eggs are one of my favorite ideas trending right now.
I’m sharing some of my favorite recipes for Jello Easter Eggs today. I hope you enjoy these Trending Tuesday ideas!